Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Two opposition leaders in Senegal are excluded from the final list of presidential candidates -Wealth Evolution Experts
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Two opposition leaders in Senegal are excluded from the final list of presidential candidates
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:22:01
DAKAR,SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center Senegal (AP) — Senegal’s highest election authority has excluded two top opposition leaders from the final list of candidates for the West African nation’s presidential election next month. The party of the main challenger called the move a “dangerous precedent” on Sunday.
The list published Saturday by Senegal’s Constitutional Council named 20 candidates, including Prime Minister Amadou Ba, who has the backing of outgoing President Macky Sall and is seen as a major contender.
Opposition leader Ousmane Sonko, who finished third in the country’s 2019 presidential election,was disqualified from the ballot because he faces a six-month suspended sentence following his conviction for defamation, the Constitutional Council said.
“This conviction renders him ineligible for a period of five years,” the council said.
Sonko, who currently is imprisoned on a different charge, was widely seen as the politician with the best chance of defeating Sall’s ruling party. His PASTEF party, which authorities dissolved last year, called Sonko’s disqualification “the most dangerous precedent in the political history of Senegal.”
The council also deemed Karim Wade, another opposition leader and the son of former Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade, as ineligible for the ballot. It said Wade had dual citizenship at the time he formally declared his presidential candidacy, although he had renounced his French nationality three days earlier.
“The recent decision of the Constitutional Council is scandalous, it is a blatant attack on democracy (and) violates my fundamental right to participate in the presidential election,” Wade wrote in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.
The Constitutional Council’s decision could further complicate preparations for the Feb. 25 election. Opposition supporters accused Sall’s government last year of clamping down on their activities, and some protests in support of Sonko turned deadly.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Fear of war between Israel and Hamas ally Hezbollah grows after Israeli strike kills commander in Lebanon
- Paris Olympics could use alternate site for marathon swimming if Seine unsafe
- Judge says Nashville school shooter’s writings can’t be released as victims’ families have copyright
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Tractor Supply caved to anti-DEI pressure. Their promises were too good to be true.
- Australian officials search for 12-year-old missing after reported crocodile attack
- National Fried Chicken Day is Saturday: Here's where to find food deals and discounts
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Power boat crashes into Southern California jetty, killing 1 and injuring 10
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- One dies after explosion at Arkansas defense weapons plant
- Critically endangered gorilla with beautiful big brown eyes born at Ohio zoo
- Officers who defended the Capitol fight falsehoods about Jan. 6 and campaign for Joe Biden
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Glimpse at Fourth of July Weekend With 16-Year-Old Emme
- Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest results: Patrick Bertoletti, Miki Sudo prevail
- Suspect with gun in Yellowstone National Park dies after shootout with rangers
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Beryl livestreams: Watch webcams as storm approaches Texas coast
Want to buy or sell a home? How to get a 3% mortgage rate, negotiate fees, and more
USA Basketball men’s Olympic team arrives for camp in Las Vegas
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
YouTuber Pretty Pastel Please Dead at 30
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case: How alleged actions in youth led to $11 million debt
Former reporter settles part of her lawsuit over a police raid on a Kansas newspaper for $235,000